IAAS was founded in Kathmandu in 1957 as a school of agriculture to train junior technical assistants. In 1968, the school was upgraded to a college of agriculture. Four years later it became affiliated with Tribhuvan University (TU), and moved to Rampur, Chitwan in 1974. The institute’s mission is to provide higher education in agriculture and agricultural development, focusing on teaching, research, and continuing education. The government of Nepal established the Agriculture and Forestry University (AFU) in Rampur in 2010, and AFU took over IAAS’ physical plant and other assets. The IAAS dean’s office moved to Kathmandu in 2011 and continues its programs and activities at satellite offices in Sanepa,Lalitpur and Kritipur.