Valentine’s day is a day to celebrate love and friendship and the joy of having other people in your life. It’s a day of flowers, candy and cards decorated with hearts . Out of many therories on how valentine’s day began, the most noted one begins in Rome in the year 286.
After the Roman Emperor Claudius second outlawed marriage, Saint Valentine continued to marry men and women in secret . Even then it was traditional for men and women to exchange flowers on their wedding day , as a sign of gudluck and start of blooming relationship. Every year 14th February is celebrated as valentine’s day by exchanging flowers, chocolates, teddy bears and many more gift. It was the day Saint Valentine died.
Valentine’s Day Facts-
- The first valentine gift was sent by Duke of Orleans to his wife , after he was captured in 1415.
- Every year more than 36 million heart shaped boxes of chocolates are sold across the country.
- Valentine’s day is the second largest card giving day of the year after Christmas .
- Teachers receive most of the cards followed by kids, mothers, wives and girlfriends.
- Not only humans , pets too receive valentine’s day gift. Every year around 9 million people buy their pets a valentine gift.
- Floral seles on valentine’s day can only be beat by mother’s day.
- Most searched flower on valentine’s day is rose followed by iris, lily, sunflower, orchid, tulip, daisy, gardenia, lavender and hydrangea.
- 73 % of people who buy flowers on this day are men while only 27% are women.
- In the middle ages, young men and women drew names (written on paper) from a bowl to see who would be their valentine .They would wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for at least a week. This was origin of expression – to wear your heart on your sleeve.